Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bridging the gap

Well hell yes. Why not get four tiny notebooks for free this year?

Today I found the problem with learning too much of the same game. In this particular case, it was bridge, the fun strategic thinking card game for four players. Some people use a bidding system to get the ‘perfect game’ of every hand. I find that absolutely dull.

Playing a strategy game takes skill, improvisation, logic. It requires thinking. Learning a system to play bridge as well as possible loses the element of thinking. It’s playing from memory – every single bid, every single move is memorized. It’s like playing as a computer with every single possible move preanalyzed to choose the very best solution in every situation. There is very little actual thought involved in running predetermined algorithms.

Perfection bores me. There is no evolving once it is reached. And no room for error means very expectable behavior. Makes you vulnerable. And extremely dull. If everyone know what you do, why you do and how you do, there are no surprises. Nothing less is really expected.

Striving for perfection is only good if one never reaches it.

And this is why I hate systems that use algorithms that eliminate human error. They are no fun.

Even random actions are better. Why not just make a shot in the dark and hope you hit? Makes life a lot more interesting.

 

Also, within the next few weeks I will try to translate my philosophical essay into English. I sure hope it will sound better that way. Though I’ll be honest, I wrote it only after 1 am, so it may come across more than a little braindead. But that’s how the cookie crumbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment